Benefits of Hurricane Screens for Windows
If you're a home or business owner in Southwest Florida, you probably know how valuable hurricane shutters and impact windows can be. However, in some cases they're just not practical, whether this is due to a large space or budget constraints.
Hurricane screens for windows are less expensive than roll down hurricane shutters or impact windows. That makes them an attractive choice for home or business owners who are interested in protecting their structure in an economical manner. They're easy and convenient, too, which adds to their value and benefits.
What Should You Look for in Hurricane Screens?
If you're looking for hurricane screens to protect your home, make sure that they're Miami-Dade County code certified. These hurricane screens for windows are large, and they're missile-impact and wind-pressure tested up to 276 MPH.
It's also important to have these hurricane screens professionally installed, since professionals will know the right type of anchoring system to use. This system can include eye bolts, lag bolts, drop-in anchors, concrete screws, or ground anchors. Additionally, a professional company such as Storm Solutions will be able to evaluate your situation and recommend the perfect hurricane screen system for your home or office building.
Types of Hurricane Screens From Storm Solutions
Storm Solutions provides five different types of hurricane screens for lanai areas and other locations. Each type is transparent from the inside of the building, which allows homeowners to clearly see outside. Here are the five main types of hurricane screens for windows that you can choose from.
- Buckle and strap system. The buckle and strap system is the strongest, most versatile type of hurricane screen, and it can also be combined with other types of screens. It's lightweight, easy to install, and incredibly strong. You can use this type of hurricane screen on single windows, across garages, or even along an entire home for maximum protection. The buckle and strap system also has optional zippers, which allow homeowners to come and go without uninstalling the entire screening system.
- I-Beam track system. The I-beam track system attaches to the home with a track across the top, much like a curtain. It's permanently mounted on the home, and it just slides out of the way when it's not being used. The track can also be completely customized, which makes it ideal for curved spaces like balconies or lanais. This type of hurricane screen can be used as an everyday sun or rain shield, too, so homeowners can enjoy their outdoor space even when the weather isn't perfect.
- Roll-up system. Roll-up hurricane screens are permanently attached at the top of a window or other opening. They can be rolled into place with either an electric motor or manually. Homeowners who choose to use an electric system can have their hurricane screens interfaced with their home automation systems, making it really easy to put them into place.
- Hemcord system. Hemcord screens slide directly into tracks for ease of use. On first-floor windows, these hurricane screens are installed outside the windows. However, you can also use them inside a window on a two-story building. You can have a zipper installed to make them more convenient, as well.
- Grommet system. The grommet system is the least expensive type of hurricane screen. Anchors are spaced at 18, 12, or 6 inches, and rubber spacers help eliminate anchor vibration. Zippers are also available. While these don't provide as much protection as some other options, having any kind of hurricane screens for windows is much better than not having any at all. A grommet system still goes a long way toward storm protection.
Choose the Right Types of Hurricane Screens for You
If you're not sure which type of hurricane screens for windows are right for your home or business, contact Storm Solutions through our website, or by calling us at (239) 205-3193. We serve the Southwest Florida cities of Naples, Fort Myers, Port Charlotte, and the surrounding areas, and offer emergency repair services.
Understanding the different types of hurricane screens is important for choosing the right ones for your home or business. With knowledge and information from us at Storm Solutions, you can make the right choice about your home's level and type of hurricane protection. We're here to help with your peace of mind.